More and more people are having children together outside of a traditional marriage. In situations where a non-marital relationship results in the birth of one or more children, a paternity action is the vehicle by which the parties’ rights and obligations to their children are established when the relationship comes to an end. A paternity action may be started by a Mother who is seeking child support from the child’s Father, or may be started by a Father who is seeking a time-sharing schedule from the child’s Mother.

It is important to note that Florida law does not favor one parent over another, even in paternity cases. The child’s mother does not have superior rights to the child’s father, and she should consult with an attorney early on (in the case where there is no ongoing relationship to be preserved) to inform herself of her rights and obligations. For unwed fathers, it is even more important to be informed about your rights and responsibilities.

The duty to support a child begins with the child’s conception. If you are a man who believes that he may be the father of a woman’s unborn child, you should know that you can be held responsible for your share of the child’s prenatal care and medical costs. This is your child, and if you are interested in the Courts upholding your rights as a father, you will need to demonstrate a desire and willingness to support that child from its very conception. Failure to give that support can be considered against you in any future paternity action, and could impact the amount of time the Court determines you will spend with your child.

Of course, in some cases, actual paternity is in dispute. You may not believe that you are the Father of the unborn child. You will have an ability to challenge that paternity by a DNA test, but not until after the child is born can you compel the test against the mother’s wishes. There is a small risk to an unborn child of a prenatal DNA test, and the mother cannot be compelled to undergo the test until after the child is born. If the DNA test proves that you are not the Father, then you are relieved of any obligations.

If you believe that you may be a father to someone’s unborn child, but you know that you want to protect your parental rights should it turn out to be the case, then you must register with the Putative Father Registry.

A Claim of Paternity may be filed at any time prior to the child's birth BUT a claim of paternity may not be filed after the date a petition is filed for termination of parental rights. A Petition for Termination of Parental Rights is usually filed as part of an Adoption proceeding. Therefore, the only way to ensure that your unborn child is not put up for adoption by the Mother is to register with the State of Florida’s Putative Father Registry.

The child's birth record is not impacted by the Father’s registration, and if the father wishes to be listed on the birth record as father, he must have the mother's agreement or seek an order from a court. There are statutory provisions for voluntary paternity acknowledgment by both parents.

A man is presumed to be the biological father if:

Contact Us Today for an Initial Consultation >